Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Featured Artist: Trinity's Trinkets

So I figured if I am going to ask others to put themselves out there I better be ready to do it myself!  So here is my about me.  We should have a few more featured artist coming soon!

·         Tell us a little about yourself.

Hello everyone!  My name is Stacy and I have been crafting for as long as I can remember.  My extremely supportive husband and I live on a nice piece of land settled in the woods.  Our quaint little farm house has been in his family for over 100 years.  We will soon have a new addition to our family as we are expecting our first baby in August.  Having grown up in a family that encouraged creativity it has always been a passion of mine.  When I am not making things for the shop I am usually knitting, spinning yarn or making Renaissance outfits for my husband and I.  I have a spoiled rotten cat Blackbeard, a noisy and stubborn Senegal Parrot Mindy and 3 sweet Sugar Gliders Fizzgig, Ludo and Stitch. 

 Where does your inspiration come from?

Colors and patterns.  I find fabric calls out to me.  I usually don’t have to look to hard because fabrics tend to scream at me when I am on the hunt.  I like mixing patterns that people would not normally place together.  
·     Who has influenced you the most in your creations?

I’m not sure if I have people who have influenced me so much as encouraged me in my creativity.  My mother growing up was very crafty and was always encouraging of me.  Even when I was getting in trouble in elementary school when I was making things and selling them to friends.  Yes I started peddling my wears at a very young age.  In my most recent endeavors my husband has been my driving force.  For starters he built me a BEAUTIFUL studio in which I could work in.  Since then he is always asking what are you working on today?  Shouldn’t you be sewing?  He also plays the important role of seeing that my packages make it to the post office in a timely manner!  He is also pushing me to quit my day job and pursue my passion full time.  There is support and inspiration!

 How would you describe your creative process?

My creative process is a bit of a ritual for me.  Each time I step into the studio to work I always light a candle, turn on my machines, turn on that little table lamp that serves no purpose but warmth and beauty, then I pick my music for the day.  If I have in mind already what I am going to work on I find upbeat music like country to just get me to it.  When I am sitting down to create something new I tend to lean toward slower more relaxing music usually Lorenna McKennitt.  What I am working on usually is a reflection of my mind state at the time.
·       
    How do you get out of creative ruts?

Creative ruts.  We all have them.  I have to say when I am in a rut I usually go to the fabric or beading store.  I find inspiration in new fabrics and beads.  There appears to always be something new available.  When I look at my stash and say I have used all that before I find new things to throw in and make a splash.  Sometimes you also need to just walk away.  I have had so many times that I said I have to get some work done today even though I don’t feel like it.  Those days tend to be very unproductive and frustrating.  I have found it is usually better to take a break and give your creativity a rest.  It will not take long for the itch to return and you are right back at it in full swing.  

·         What advice would you give to aspiring artists?

Just do it!  Tacky I know but it is true.  Some of my biggest fears when I started Trinity’s Trinkets was my stuff was not good enough to sell.  I was always worried someone would pick apart my work, those seams are not straight or that fabric is ugly or I don’t like that design.  Since starting my shop I feel I have grown so much as an artisan and a business person.  Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there.  The Etsy community is a great source of supportive artists.  There are lots of forums for you to ask questions and get feedback from fellow artists.  Don’t undersell yourself either.  Make sure you are getting your time and materials worth out of your art.  Last but not least it takes time, don’t get discouraged.  


I have an Etsy Shop which can be found here:  The Trinity's Trinkets 
You have already found my blog here:  The Trinity's Trinkets Blog 
You can also follow us on facebook here:  The Trinity's Trinkets on facebook

No comments: